Site dedicated to the proper care of the species of land hermit crabs.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Selecting a Filter.

<span class= Even though hermit crabs are not constantly in the water to produce waist, filters provide circulation and help keep the water quality stable and free of algae, which will still accumulate over time. I should note that even with a filter, frequent large water changes will still be necessary to keep the water in it's ideal perimeters.

Unless a very large pool is being constructed, you should be looking for filters used for very small-"Nano"- fish tanks or filters used for reptile or amphibian pools. Generally, most will work fine however, I would avoid anything extremely cheap. When I first setup my pools, I used a very cheep ($6.00) filter. This seemed to do little cleaning and provided almost not circulation. So, word to the wise, get something nice in the beginning.

One of the most commonly recommended is the 'Duetto 50 sumersible filter', due to it's larger size, it is probably more suitable to a larger pool but still a very good choice although the smaller "Duetto Mini" would probably work well for the smaller pool setup. Another good choice that I highly recommend, is the "Tominaga Dive Clean Mini Filter" I do not have personal experience with this filter however, it is supposed to be pretty efficient. For the smaller pool, I would recommend the "Elite Mini" it is recommended for very small fish tanks (under 5gallons I believe(?), I use two of these for my pools, and it is more than sufficient for me.

There are many more filters that would be suitable, but the ones I have mentioned are probably some of the better choices. Just look for something that has a high water turnover rate, as well as ample circulation.

Fill free to ask questions by leaving a comment.

Cheers.

S.P


No comments: